Apple’s iPad Air 2 is an update of the iPad Air released by the US firm on October 2014. Of late, most critics have termed it as a ‘modest update’ However, we will look at it side by side against the Xperia Z2 tablet from Sony which was released earlier in the year.
Even though it has been in the market for some time now, let us see which of the two has the best features and a value for your money.
- Ipad Air 2 has a smaller display size at 9.7 inches with a resolution of 1536 x 2048 pixels and uses the IPS LCD technology. The final pixel density is 264 ppi. With the Xperia Z2 it is a larger display reaching 10.1 inches complemented with a resolution of 1920 x 1200 pixels and still uses the IPS LCD technology. The pixel density is therefore 224 ppi.
- Other additional features worth mentioning in this case is the Light sensors and oleophobic coating in both but Xperia Z2 has a scratch resistant glass.
- Xperia Z2 is the best if you want that large tablet but you would want to go for iPad Air 2 for a smaller tablet with sharper images.
- The Xperia Z2 is a little bit thicker than iPad Air 2 with 6.4 mm, other dimensions are 266 x 172 mm with a weight of 439g. iPad Air 2 comes in with a 6.1 mm thickness and 240 x 169.5 mm and a weight of about 437g.
- iPad Air 2 therefore pips Xperia Z2 with its thinness and lightness but the latter completely comes on top with the IP58 certification of dust and water resistance. In fact, the tablet can stay in water of up to one metres for up to thirty seconds.
- iPad Air 2 has 8 MP rear camera and a 1.2 MP front facing one with features such as face detection and Autofocus.
- The camcorder specs are; 1920×1080 pixels recording at 1080p in HD at 30fps and 1280×720 pixels recording at 720p in HD at 120 fps. Some of its features are video sharing, video calling and digital image stabilization.
- To Sony Xperia Z2, the camera has 8.1 MP and 2.2 MP for the rear and front respectively. Some of the features you will find in this camera include HDR, smile and face detection and voice activation. The camcorder has 1920×1080 pixels recording videos at 1080p in HD.
- As far as the camera goes, we can conclude that Sony Xperia Z2 wins in terms of megapixels but each camera deserves credit for the quality features.
- Performance, Storage and Battery.
- Sitting in the iPad Air 2 is the Apple A8X system chip, a Triple core 64-bit with 1.5 GHz clock speed processor and the PVR GXA 6850 GPU. In the Xperia Z2 you will find the MSM8974-AB Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 MSM8974-AB system chip, a Quad core Krait 400 with 2.3GHz clock speed processor.
- The processor presents extremely different approaches withe Z2’s processor being more fast.
- iPad Air 2 has a 2.048 MB memory capacity of RAM and inbuilt storage of 128 GB. As expected, no expandable memory. Xperia Z2 has more RAM capacity at 3.072 GB but lags behind with 16GB internal memory with an option of expandable memory of up to 64 GB via microSD, microSDHC and microSDXC.
- iPad Air 2 wins in terms of battery capacity at 7340 mAh against the 6000 mAh for Xperia Z2.
- IPad maintains its uniqueness in the operating system section by using the iOS (8.x). Xperia Z2 uses the Android 4.4.4 and/or 4.4
- iPad Air is more expensive as it is just less than a month old retailing at $ 829 whereas Xperia Z2 which has been there for some time now is at $500.
Ipad Air 2 is just new but Xperia manages to match most of its features. So having taken a look at them, you be the judge.