Samsung has been very active in relation to production of Android tablets. This year in particular, we have had a couple of Android tablets released. However, right now we are going to take a look at the eighth and ninth tablets released which are Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and 10.5.
These tablets are very similar in almost all aspects except for a few which I will notify you.
Has Samsung got it right when it comes to these tablets? Well, let us find out.
- Display and Design
- The display is one of the specs where there are differences as the S 10.5 has a 10.5 inch with a resolution of 2560 x 1600 pixels and a pixel density of 288 ppi.
- S 8.4 offers a 8.4 inch screen with a resolution of 1600 x 2560 pixels and a pixel density of 358 ppi.
- The new Super AMOLED display technology comes into use replacing the LCD that was employed in previous models. Therefore, you are ensured a fantastic view with more pronounced colors.
- S 10.5 measures 9.74 x 6.98 x 0.26 inches in size and 467g in weight whereas S 8.4 is smaller measuring 8.38 x 4.94 x 0.26 inches and 298g.
- On the sides of the two tablets some features present; a power button, a volume button, a microSD card slot, an IR port, a microUSB port, a 3.5mm headset jack, and dual stereo speakers.
- The leather covering the back is still present for both, to ensure you have a firm grip.
- Hardware and Software
- The tablets run on the Android 4.4 Kitkat with the user interface being the Touchwiz.
- The system chip used is the Exynos 5 Octa e5420, processor is a 1.9 GHz, octa core, ARM Cortex-A15 and ARM Cortex-A7 finishing up with the Graphics processor which is ARM Mali-T628 MP6.
- Nothing different in storage, 32 GB inbuilt memory with a 3.072 GB RAM. There is an option for expandable memory via microSD, microSDHC and microSDXC of a maximum of 128 GB.
- Due to its size, the S 10.5 has a 7900 mAh battery while S 8.4 has a 4900mAh one.
- Both tablets have an 8MP rear camera with a LED flash using the CMOS image sensor.
- Some of the features that these tablet offer in relation to their cameras include Digital image stabilization, ISO control, Exposure compensation, Scenes, White balance presets, Effects, Burst mode, Digital zoom, Self timer, Geo tagging and High Dynamic Range mode (HDR).
- The webcam of the tablets pose a 2.1 MP camera. The camcorder has a resolution of 1920×1080 pixels capturing HD videos at 1080p at 30fps.
- Price and Competition
- The S 8.4 is available for $399. In these price range and the features the tablet a strong competition is brought in by similar gadgets such as Apple IPad Mini, LG G Pad 8.3 and Google Nexus 7. Some of these tablets life for LG and Google are priced lower than S 8.4 while they share the same price with iPad Mini.
- The fiercest competition that S 10.5 (priced at $499) will have to put up with as far as larger tablets are concerned will definitely be the iPad Air which is also priced at $499.
The Bottom Line
Besides the fierce competition that these two tablets will have to contend with, we cannot help but admit they have quality features. They can therefore easily deal with this competition.